There is a duality in the world of drones and GoPro cameras. The first drones lacked the stability required for serious photography, so they never really caught on.
Then appeared the GoPro camera, a device specifically created to overcome the issue of stability and motion when filming and went mainstream soon after.
Clearly, it was only a matter of time before drone enthusiasts would begin attaching their GoPro cameras to their devices and experiment with the possibilities. Read on to find out which is the best drone for GoPro.
Top 9 Best Drone for GoPro Cameras
9. Ionic Stratus GoPro Drone
- Equipped with One Key Return & Headless Security System to assist beginners and help prevent losing the drone
- Altitude Hold Function: Powerful air pressure altitude hold function allows the drone to hover at it's current height after releasing the throttle stick. Easy for you to shoot quality images or videos.
- One Key 360° 4-Ways Flip (left,right,forward,backward), Continuous Roll For Perfect Action And Wonderful Performance
- Come With Two Batteries (BONUS BATTERY) For Longer Flight Time.
- Range: About 50-100 Meters. Battery Flight Time: About 7-9 Minutes. Charging Time: About 80 Minutes. Drone Size:12.2(L) x 3.5(H) x 12.2(W) inches
First on our best drone for GoPro list is the Ionic Stratus quadcopter. So, if you’re looking for something reliable, easy-to-use, and compatible with a GoPro Hero 3 this is the drone you need.
The Ionic Stratus is a powerful quadcopter and a very heavy one at that. It boasts two separate batteries so when the first one is depleted, you’ll just have to land it and switch to the other one.
|Ionic Stratus Drone Specs|
|10 min||Outdoors||Compatible with GoPro||2×3.7V 500mAh LiPO||150 min||3.8 pounds||20 x 4.8 x 1.4 inches||150m|
For its low price, it can only fly around 10 minutes within a range of 150 meters from the controller. That’s not really much, but it may suit your purpose if you don’t want to spend all your savings on it.
8. Cheerson CXHOBBY CX-20 GoPro Drone
- Complete quadcopter and remote transmitter, pre-tuned by the factory and ready in minutes! Just charge the included battery, attach the propellers and landing gear, and add 4 AA batteries to the remote and you're flying.
- Fun flying by itself or even better with a GoPro to record the action. Tested with Hero2, Hero3 and Hero3+ models, sold separately. Produce dramatic cinema-quickly results from the air! Note: Wi-Fi streaming from a camera is not possible because it may interfere with the Phantom's remote control.
- Outdoor flight is made possible by advanced GPS positioning that compensates for light wind. The Phantom has a fail-safe function and can be configured to automatically fly to and land at its take-off position if connection to the transmitter is lost. Note: indoor flight or operation by persons under 18 years of age is NOT recommended.
- With a maximum horizontal speed of 22 miles/hour (10 meters/second), the Phantom lets you capture the action of almost any sport, event or scene.
- The Phantom's high tech Naza-M autopilot system lets you configure advanced parameters via software (USB port and separate download required).
The next one on our list is the Cheerson CX-20, with just a little bit more flight time than the previous one and also with a 2700mAh lithium battery can actually perform better.
It is more stable and accurate to control, also it has high intensity led lights, to aid orientation during flight.
|Cheerson CXHOBBY CX-20 Drone Specs|
|~15-18 min||Outdoors and indoors||Compatible with GoPro||11.1V 2700mAh LiPo||~160 min||5.71 pounds||11.8 x 11.8 x 7.9 inches||~500 m|
Its range is significantly bigger, up to 500 meters. It is compatible with the GoPro camera, of course, also the controller is easy to manage and the speed this quadcopter can reach is really good, maximum 10m/s.
7. Xiro Xplorer GoPro Drone
- Ready to fly quadcopter: Charge the included battery, attach the propellers & start the remote controller
- Upgradable to Xplorer V or Xplorer G version
- Auto shut-down after landing to prevent accident
- Return Home function will activated automatically when connection is lost or in low battery for extra safety
- Built-in 5,200-mAh lithium polymer (LiPo) rechargeable battery can fly up to 25 minutes on a single charge
With a built-in 5200-mAh lithium-polymer rechargeable battery, this drone can fly up to 25 minutes on a single charge. Also, it can shoot amazing photos and it can capture high-quality videos.
Moreover, it only weighs about 150 ounces and can operate within a pretty large range, at 500 meters.
|Xiro Xplorer G Drone Specs|
|25 min||Outdoors||Compatible with GoPro||11 V 5200mAh LiPo||<120 min||8.75 pounds||14.8 x 13.9 x 6.4 inches||500m|
It is compatible with GoPro HERO 4, offers real-time live preview and flight status achieved by attaching your smartphone to the remote controller.
Has the “Follow Me” and “Circle Around Me” functions which bring you incredibly selfie shots with great ease and lots of fun.
6. 3D Robotics Solo GoPro Drone
- Solo’s video game-style controller will feel familiar the second you pick it up, even if you’ve never flown a drone. Pushbutton commands put both camera and copter at your fingertips. Take off, land or instantly pause your flight midair with a single touch. Click to start and stop recording or snap a photo, even adjust camera angle while you fly
- In case you missed it in the picture…that’s a high-quality HDMI port directly from the controller so you can connect Solo to practically any screen you can think of. Refer user manual below
- Full-featured app for iOS and Android puts total craft control at your fingertips.
One of the pricier and fancier drones on this list, the 3D Robotics Solo is a beautiful device to behold. At just 3.3 pounds this black beauty can hover for as long as 25 minutes.
Achieving such a feat is possible due to its mind-boggling 5200mAh battery. And all that without compromising its aerodynamics.
|3D Robotics Solo Drone Specs|
|25 min||Outdoors||Compatible with GoPro||5200mAh LiPo||~150 min||3.3 pounds||18 x 18 x 10 inches||805 m|
Last but not least, the over 800 meters of range will make you forget that you actually have a range of operation.
5. BLADE Chroma Quadcopter GoPro Drone
- COMPLETE BUGS 3 DRONE KIT: Long range drone with GoPro mount fits GoPro Hero 3 or 4; includes brushless motors, propeller guards, high landing gear, and 2 rechargeable batteries
- SMOOTH BRUSHLESS DRONE MOTORS: These Bugs 3 GoPro drones fly quieter, with more stability and less flight resistance; long range drones have a flight time of 15 minutes per battery
- MORE MANUAL CONTROL: Drone with GoPro attachments lets you control your altitude, 360° stunts, and speeds manually; long distance drone operates in 2 speeds
- MJX BUGS 3 DRONE SPECS: 2 batteries provide a long flying time of up to 30 minutes per outing; drone frame measures 9.6” x 9.6”; remote transmitter features a 1640-ft. signal distance
- QUALITY ASSURED: Soar high and fly fast with your GoPro-ready drone; We’ll provide a full refund if you’re not completely satisfied with this elite brushless drone
One notable quadcopter from our list is definitely the Blade Chroma, with a 30-minute flight time and a range more than 600 meters you are sure to have the time of your life.
|BLADE Chroma Quadcopter Drone Specs|
|30 min||Outdoors||Compatible with GoPro||11.1V 6300mAh LiPo||~120 min||3 pounds||28 x 25 x 19 inches||600 m|
This drone comes with GoPro ready camera mount, so, if you have the camera you just need to put it on the drone and off you go.
4. Walkera QR X350 GoPro Drone
The Walkera QRX350 has an incredible range of up to 3280 meters from the controller’s position. That translates to 3.2 kilometers or just a little over 2 miles.
|Walkera QR X350 Drone Specs|
|25 min||Outdoors||Compatible with GoPro||5200mAh LiPo||150 min||6.75 pounds||11.4 x 11.4 x 8.1 inches||3.2 km|
Just like the previous entry on this best drone for GoPro list, the Walkera can fly for up to 25 minutes and it’s compatible with any type of GoPro that you may have. Shoot stunning photography from miles away – welcome to the 21st Century!
3. Ehang GHOST Aerial GoPro Drone
This one is definitely the drone to go for if you already have a GoPro camera. Simply stick it into this GoPro drone and you’ll have your own flying recorder.
The Ghost simply is better built than its predecessors on this list. Furthermore, its creators managed to squeeze in another 200mAh in the battery. And they also managed to drop down the weight to 2.87 pounds.
|Ehang GHOST Aerial Drone Specs|
|~25 min||Outdoors||Compatible with GoPro||5400mAh LiPo||200 min||2.87 pounds||7.9 x 13.8 x 3.5 inches||1 km|
If all that isn’t impressive enough, you’ll also be able to fly the Ghost Aerial GoPro drone within about 1000 meters or 0.62 miles.
If you’ve ever seen stunning photography taken high up above the ground level, chances are that either an Ehang or a DJI were behind that.
Want to capture stunning videos and be able to move the camera lens with greater freedom? We recommend you look for and buy a gimbal.
Some drones come equipped with a gimbal, others require you to buy one. The bottom line is that it will make your video’s field of view much easier to control and adjust.
2. DJI Phantom 2 GoPro Drone
- DJI Mavic Air, Arctic White
- Supported USB Port Types- Lightning, Micro USB (Type-B), USB-C
The DJI Phantom is already a trademark of the drone-loving community. The fact is that you can’t choose the best drone for GoPro without going for the meanest of them all – the DJI Phantom 2.
|DJI Phantom 2 Drone Specs|
|~28 min||Outdoors||GoPro 14MP||5200mAh LiPo||150 min||2.43 pounds||11 x 11 x 7.1 inches||500 m|
This expensive drone comes with an integrated battery of 5200mAh. This one will allow you to fly the DJI Phantom 2 GoPro drone for up to 25 minutes.
Moreover, this will work within 500 meters of the user and comes already equipped with a GoPro. The GoPro camera on the DJI Phantom 2 measures 14 megapixels and it can shoot videos at sharp 1080p resolution.
1. DJI Phantom 4 Quadcopter GoPro Drone
- Camera with 1-inch 20MP sensor the onboard camera has been redesigned to use a 1-inch Megapixel CMOS sensor.
- Five-directions of obstacle sensing. Please refer the instructional video and the user manual before use.
- More powerful video processing supports H.264 4K videos at 60Fps or H.265 4K at 30Fps, both with a 100Mbps bitrate
- Note: refer the instructional video and the user manual before use which is highly recommended.
The number one quadcopter on our list is the DJI Phantom 4, this drone has a built-in-video editor for you to personalize the videos you make, you can add music, text, and more, also it can capture 4K Ultra HD videos at 30 fps and has a 12 MP built-in camera, the shots are amazing, and due to the Gimbal stabilization and hover function you can capture clear images while the drone is in the air.
|DJI Phantom 4 Quadcopter Drone Specs|
|28 min||Outdoors and indoors||Compatible with GoPro||5350 mAh LiPo||120 min||8.82 pounds||15 x 8.7 x 12.8 inches||5 km|
The drone also can achieve a high altitude of maximum 6000 meters. Also, it can function at temperatures between 0 and 40 degrees Celsius.
It is made from a composite material and has a revolutionary design which makes it sturdy and aerodynamically sound.
Our top 9 comes from the need to help users find the best drone for GoPro cameras to fit their needs. These two 21st century devices grew and flourished together, in a perfect marriage of art and technology, and we have here a list of the very best.
Have you decided which is the best drone for GoPro for you? Leave a comment below and join in on the discussion!