If you’ve ever wondered what the best drone with camera is, then you’re in luck. In this article, we are going to tell you everything you need to know about taping, camcording, and how to choose the best drone based on its camera’s performance.
Why’s a Good Camera an Essential Asset?
We can all agree that flying a drone around is fun, but it does seem like something is missing from the action, something that adds a glimmer of panache to the whole experience.
That is why a drone equipped with a decent camera can make all the difference in the world. Think about how cool it is to fly your drone over the ruins of an old keep.
Wouldn’t it be cool to actually be able to tape the whole experience and to share it with friends and family?
Committing these experiences to memory is much easier now. Thanks to this state-of-the-art hardware, which can record your journey step by step in a life-like quality.
Of course, the immediate disadvantage of buying a drone equipped with a good camera is its price. But if you’re one of those people who care about the journey, and not the road, then this shouldn’t be an obstacle.
The Best Drone with Camera
6. DJI Mavic PRO Drone
- What's in this combo: Mavic Pro [US Version], 2 Extra batteries, 2 Extra propellers, 1 charging hub, 1 car charger, 1 battery to power bank adaptor and a shoulder bag
- The DJI Mavic Pro folds down as small as a bottle of water, making it small enough to bring with you everywhere.New OcuSync transmission system offers up to 4.3 miles (7km) of transmission range.
- Fly at up to 40mph (64kmh) or for as long as 27-minutes.True 4K, fully stabilized ensures smooth footageActive Track, Tap Fly and other smart features make professional looking video effortless.
- Obstacle Avoidance combined with sensor redundancy increases flight safety and reliability.
- Vision positioning paired with GPS and GLONASS ensures precise positioning indoor and outdoors.Fly by Phone over Wi-Fi for even easier flight
The latest addition to our best drone with camera list is the DJI Mavic PRO Drone, launched at the end of 2016 it proved to be one of the best drones with camera out there.
This choice might surprise some due to the small size of the drone and the fact that it is so compact that it can be folded to a size resembling a small bottle of water. But do not be fooled, this wondrous drone packs a bigger punch that it might seem like.
This drone can fly for up to 27 minutes from a distance of 7 km, moreover, due to its Obstacle Avoidance, combined with sensor redundancy flight, safety and reliability are highly increased.
This PRO drone can reach a speed of 40 mph (65 kph) in Sport mode without wind, it is easily controllable indoor as well as outdoor.
It has a 1080p /12MP Action Camera plus G3-D 3-Axis Gimbal (which is compatible with iLOOK & GoPro Models) to take awesome shots and professional looking videos.
Other Camera Features:
- Image size: 4000×3000;
- Video Resolution: 4K at 30 FPS;
- Records in both (Portrait and Landscape Modes);
- FHD: 1920×1080 24/25/30/48/50/60/96p;
- HD: 1280×720 24/25/30/48/50/60/120p;
- ISO: 100-3200 (video) and 100-1600 (photo);
- 8s -1/8000s shutter speed;
- Compatible with JPEG, DNG, MP4, MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264).
5. DJI Phantom 4
- Auto takeoff and auto return home with GPS technology, makes controlling easy. App enables monitoring/camera operation easy
- Capture 4K ultra HD video at 30 fps, supported resolutions include: 12.0MP (4000 x 3000) photos. The f/2.8 lens with a broad field of view delivers crisp, clear images
- Gimbal stabilization technology, along with a hover function allows you to capture smooth, clean footage while the camera is in the air
- Use DJI director software with a built-in video editor to add music, text, and more to your videos, Please Note: Kindly refer the User Manual before use.
- In the Box: Aircraft Body ×1, Remote Controller ×1, Propeller Pairs ×4, Intelligent Flight, Battery ×1, Battery Charger ×1, Power Cable ×1, Manuals, Gimbal Clamp ×1, USB OTG Cable ×1, Micro USB Cable ×1, Micro SD Card ×1（16GB), Carrying Case ×1
DJI has managed to make a name for itself thanks to the newly-developed Phantom 3 series. However, their dream of innovating the way we looked at drones didn’t stop with Phantom 3. The Phantom 4 is the first item on our best drone with camera list.
Here enter the Phantom 4 drone, a flying apparatus like no other. This nifty-looking quadcopter is incredibly lightweight when compared to its specs, weighing no more than 1380 grams, with the propeller blades and battery attached.
Due to its seamlessly aerodynamic construction, the DJI Phantom 4 can achieve a top cruise speed of 20 meters per second when it is switched in sports mode.
This is good news if you’re into fast aerial reconnaissance. You can also read more about it in our DJI Phantom 4 review.
As per guiding system, the DJI Phantom 4 will have no issue navigating, thanks to its GPS/GLONASS-assisted flight computer.
The drone is also capable of hovering, being aided by a gimbal that ensures a 3-axis stabilization system under variable pitches, ranging from -90 degrees to +30 degrees.
The DJI Phantom 4 sports a 1/2.3-inch 12-megapixel imaging sensor. Thanks to its FOV 94 degree 20 mm, f/2.8 lens, Phantom’s four cameras can take breathtaking images even at close range.
The light sensitivity factor for this camera is between 100 and 3200 when taking pictures and between 100 and 1600 for video.
Taking pictures on the go is no problem, thanks to the camera’s high shutter speed (8s – 1/8000s). As far as picture quality goes, DJI’s ventral camera can process image up to 4000x3000p.
Other Camera Features:
- Burst Shooting: 3, 5, seven modes;
- AEB-ready: 3,5 brackets per frame;
- 7 EV Bias;
- Time lapse;
- Jpeg, DNG raw;
- HD: 1280×720 at 24 fps, 25 fps, 30 fps, 48 fps, 50 fps, and 60 fps;
- FHD: 1980×1080 at 24,25,30,48,50, 60, 120 fps;
- 2704x2160p (2K) at 24, 25, 30 fps;
- 2840×2160 (4k quality) at 24, 25, and 30 fps;
- UHD quality (4096×2160) at 24, and 25 fps.
4. Yuneec Q500+ Typhoon Quadcopter
- 3 Fight Modes: Smart, Angle, Home
- ST10+ Transmitter/Personal Ground Station
- Includes CGO Steady Grip for CGO2-GB Camera
- CGO2-GB+ 3-Axis Stabilized Camera
- Access to a database of published FAA no-fly areas
The Q500+ series from Yuneec has been specifically designed to serve one purpose and one purpose alone: high-quality aerial photography.
The Typhoon Quadcopter is a perfect example of how to balance sheer power and stunning visual quality, which makes it a good candidate for our best drone with camera top.
The Yuneec Q500+ Typhoon Quadcopter has lifted into the air thanks to its 13-inch propeller blades that ensure a top cruise speed of 20 meters per second.
Furthermore, Typhoon’s body is incredibly light, weighing no more than 1130 grams without battery and payload.
Thanks to its 5400 mAh/11.1 V LiPo battery, the drone can achieve a total flight time of 25 minutes.
As far as photography and video are concerned, the Yuneec Q500+ series offers only the best features out there. Equipped with a 16-megapixel imaging sensor, Yuneec’s ventral camera can take crisp and vivid photos, no matter the situation.
To increase stability during flight, the Q500+ sports an Aerial Optimized Fixed Focus technology, which keeps the objective steady even under adverse conditions.
Other Camera Features:
- 130-degree field of view;
- 600 m video transmission capabilities;
- 300 m video transmission using the ST10 protocol;
- Video resolution: Full HD (1080p at 48,50 or 60 frames per second);
- Automatic white balance.
3. 3DR Solo
- Solo’s video game-style controller will feel familiar the second you pick it up, even if you’ve never flown a drone. Pushbutton commands put both camera and copter at your fingertips. Take off, land or instantly pause your flight midair with a single touch. Click to start and stop recording or snap a photo, even adjust camera angle while you fly
- In case you missed it in the picture…that’s a high-quality HDMI port directly from the controller so you can connect Solo to practically any screen you can think of. Refer user manual below
- Full-featured app for iOS and Android puts total craft control at your fingertips.
Like the Solo’s official description would put it, this is the kind of drone that can magically transform anyone into a Hollywood director. Ever felt like you belonged in the limelight?
With the 3DR Solo drone, you will now have the opportunity of transforming your experiences into movies. The 3DR Solo is unquestionably one of the best candidates in our best drone with camera list.
From the start, the 3DR drone gives you the freedom to choose how the show starts. You can either take control of everything from flight to the actual filming or let the onboard computer handle the hard part.
Use the integrated Dual 1Ghz Linux OS to tell your flying companion what to do during your little adventure.
As a camera drone, the 3DR Solo is capable of streaming videos in two modes: 720 HD or 1080 HD. Using its top notch 12-megapixels imaging sensor, you can take vivid and life-like pictures.
The photo/video part is ensured by the ventral-mounted GoPro camera, the undefeated champion of action/sports cameras.
Camera stability is ensured by the 3-axis gimbal system and the drone’s four self-tightening propellers that can keep the drone steady while you line up the picture.
As far as filming and photography are concerned, the 3DR supports multiple shooting modes including hovering standstill photography, orbiting mode, zip line mode, cable cam mode, selfie mode, follow me mode, and a panorama mode.
You should also keep in mind that the 3DR Solo model won numerous awards for the best remote control drone with a camera and the best Drone with HD camera.
Other Camera Features:
- Has the Follow me mode, which keeps the camera centered on the user at all times, capturing every move;
- Has HDMI video and intelligent camerawork;
- Images transmitted wirelessly from Sony R10C to iPad;
- Has DSLR quality APS-C image sensor;
- Live HD preview stream;
- Achieves a 0.5in/pixel ground sampling distance (resolution) flying at 200ft.
2. DJI Phantom 3 4K
- 4K Video / 12 Megapixel Camera
- Wi-Fi Video Downlink
- Maximum Transmission Distance of 0.75mi (1.2km)
- Easy to Fly, Intelligent Flight System
- 3-Axis Stabilization Gimbal
DJI might have hit the jackpot with the Phantom 4 drone, but when it comes to high-quality photography, all the money goes to the Phantom 3 4K drone.
Even though it might be a bit pricey than the 3DR Solo or the Yuneec Q500+, this drone is the ultimate photo/video experience, ranking second in our best drone with camera top.
Sporting out a 95-degree wide-angle lens, 4K’s camera can take crystal-clear images, no matter the weather conditions. Furthermore, the wide-angle lens camera ensured little to no distortions or background white noise.
The Phantom 3 4K edition has earned one of the highest scores when it comes to flight time, being able to fly for 30 minutes before recharging. The sustained flight is ensured by the 2500 Mah LiPo 2S battery, which can operate at a working current of 300 mA.
As far as photography and filming are concerned, the Phantom 3 4K will always rise above the expectations, thanks to its Sony EXMOR 12.4-megapixel 1/2.3 CMOS sensor.
Other Camera Features:
- ISO: 100-1600(pictures) and 100-3200 (videos);
- Maximum Resolution: 4000x3000p;
- Single shot;
- Multiple burst modes: 3,5,7;
- AEB-ready: 3/5 brackets;
- 8 to 1/8000s shutter speed;
- Supported Video resolutions: 1280×720 (720p at 24,25,30,48,50,60 frames per second); 1920×1080 (1080p at 24,25,30,48,50, 60 frames per second); 3840×2160 (UHD 4K at 24, 25, 30 frames per second); and 4096×2160 (DCI 4K at 24 or25 frames per second);
- Compatible with Jpeg, DNG raw, MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 formats.
1. Parrot Bebop Full HD 1080p Fisheye Camera
- Easily updates to meet FAA requirements
- Enjoy a truly immersive piloting experience - Increase BeBop's range up to 2 km with Wi-Fi Extender - Take control of the drone using the 2 joysticks for an intuitive RC piloting - Dock station for tablets and smartphones
- 14 megapixel Full HD 1080p "fisheye" Camera and outstanding 3-axes image stabilization
- Records videos and pictures in a 180° field with remarkable image quality
- Built-in GPS for automatic return home and high altitude flight control
And now, we have the pleasure of giving you the best drone with the camera out there on the market, and it’s none other than the Parrot Bebop Full HD Fisheye drone.
The Parrot Bebop has everything a drone enthusiast needs starting with sleek design, flawless ventral camera, and the best remote controller money can buy.
Turn your outdoor activities into something memorable using the Parrot Bebop’s 14-megapixel 1/2.3-inch CMOS camera. Equipped with a 180-degrees 1/2.2-inch lens, with six different optical elements. The Parrot Bebop can be the ultimate collaborator, being able to obey any of your commands.
It will circle you to capture a 360-degrees walking scene, it can be instructed to come closer and take a selfie. And it can even be preprogrammed to take pictures and then return home, which puts it on the top of our homemade best drone with camera top.
The Parrot Bebop drone experience can be enhanced with the Skycontroller that turns your table into a plane-like dashboard. And with the Sony FOV glasses that let you see everything the drone sees in true VR.
Other Camera Features:
- 14 megapixel Full HD 1080p “fisheye” Camera;
- Outstanding 3-axes image stabilization;
- The top left stick enables navigation of the app in FPV (First-Person-View) mode;
- Benefit from FPV via HDMI port for this camera with your own glasses;
- Get video streaming with telemetry (distance, altitude, cape, horizon management, battery level and more).
These are the contestants fighting for the best drone with camera category. Some of them are old, some of them are new, but all of them are great to use to spruce up your drone-flying experience. Drop a line below and let us know which is your favorite drone with camera!