The DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus is a variant of the DJI Phantom 2. One of the most popular drone models in the world, this incredible device has helped popularize the world of drones back when it launched and it’s still one of the most sought after second-hand drones in the world. What makes it so special? Why do so many enthusiasts look at this drone as a definitive moment in drone history?
We’re here to highlight all of the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus’s capabilities: its specs, its features, what you should expect when launching it, and how to prepare it for first flight. Remember that this is first of all one of the drones that need to be registered with the FAA in order to be flown in the US. Secondly, we should also note that the DJI Phantom is not a cheap drone at all.
DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus Drone Main Features & Specs
Let’s look at the precise technical details of this wonderful piece of engineering. Current drone companies that want to make any kind of competition to DJI look at these drone specs as a must-have:
DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus Drone Specs
First, we should talk about the basic flight capacity. The DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus quadcopter can stay aloft for a maximum of 25 minutes. Bear in mind that you should not be liberal with this limit since the UAV may spiral out of control, especially when the weather conditions involve stronger winds. We recommend looking for signs of unresponsiveness once the 20-minute threshold is passed and if when you do, immediately land the drone.
When it comes to carrying payloads, the DJI Phantom 2 can perform really well. It can easily carry up to 300 grams from point A to point B. Keep in mind though that the more weight you add to the drone, the lower the actual time of flight and battery life will be.
The maximum speed of the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus is 15 meters per second which translate to 34 mph. That’s about the average speed of a drone. Remember that adding a payload will drastically reduce maneuverability as well as speed. The maximum speed of ascent for the Phantom Vision 2 plus is 6 meters per second while the max speed of decent is 2 meters per second.
The maximum altitude of this drone is set by the operating distance since the drone is heavy enough to resist stronger winds that typically come in effect at higher altitudes.
Arguments: Pros & Cons
- It can support LiveView at 30 FPS;
- It can use a gimbal, here are two gimbals that are compatible with the Phantom 2’s camera: the DJI Zenmuse H3-3D and DJI Zenmuse H4-3D;
- There is “the return to home” function;
- It is equipped with a controlled landing system permitting pilots to safely ground their UAV even in the harshest weather conditions;
- It has the “follow me” function;
- The drone comes equipped with a GPS;
- There is an “altitude hold” button on the DJI remote, which allows holding the drone in place in mid-air;
- Can flight plan using the guidance system.
- The drone is not compatible with virtual reality headsets;
- The “follow me” function requires a compatible smartphone or tablet in order to work properly;
- Although it has the “flight planning” function, minor course adjustments will be necessary, it might not stay on track all the time.
DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus Drone Remote Control & Set-up for First Flight
If you know a thing or two about drones, you’ll understand that the remote control is just as important as the drone. The DJI Phantom 2’s remote comes with it inside the same box, so there’s no need for an extra purchase (as with some other drones).
The DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus remote functions at a frequency of 5.85 GHz and it allows pilots to fly their drones within a range of 800 meters. It has a battery of 2000mAh that can be recharged with the same charger that you use for the drone. The remote features a holding slot for your mobile device which can fit both a smartphone and a tablet.
The best way to use the Phantom 2 Vision Plus is by placing a tablet in the slot in order to see what the drone sees in first person mode. This will make for a much easier learning curve for how to fly a drone.
Apart from all these nice features, the DJI also has some trademark buttons on the controller that make it stand out:
- Return to home. DJI pioneered this function and it’s now becoming more and more popular among newly released drones.
- Automatic Landing. DJI have equipped their drone and their remote with a controlled landing system permitting pilots to safely ground their UAV even in the harshest weather conditions.
- Follow Me. This function is truly revolutionary, but it requires a compatible smartphone or tablet in order to work properly.
- The DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus comes equipped with a GPS.
- Altitude Hold. Another button on the DJI remote will allow you to hold the drone in place in mid-air. This is very helpful, especially for beginners.
- Position Hold. Keep the drone in place! No other explanation needed.
- Flight planning. Using the guidance system, you can even plan a course for the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus. Minor course adjustments will be necessary, but for the most part, the drone will stay on track!
Remember that before trying the DJI Phantom 2 Vision plus for the first time, you will need to check and see if the battery is fully charged. If you happen to have the money, we even recommend you buy a second battery to have as a spare during your flight.
Secondly, check and see that all the DJI Phantom’s propellers are secured in their places. For more tips on the preflight checklist, go ahead to our page on how to fly a drone and see the drone preflight checklist. Use this checklist before all your drone flight sessions.
What’s in the Box?
- Remote controller,
- 8 propellers,
- Charger with micro-USB cable,
- Power cables and plug set,
- Wrench and spare screws,
- Anti-drop kit,
- Damper packet and spare dampers,
How do you like your DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus drone? We have to conclude that it’s one of the best drones ever made, even if it may not be a long-range drone. With its 800 meters of range, we think it’s more than sufficient for any drone enthusiast wishing to get more serious about his or her hobby! Let us know your review of the Phantom 2 Vision Plus! You’ll definitely be helping undecided customers with their purchase.