If you’re tired of flying around a bulky drone, you should definitely consider a mini drone. Although they’re not as powerful as their larger brethren, mini drones are very easy to control and fun to fly.
If you are not convinced to just leave behind your cool big-size drone and settle for a mini-me version of a drone there are a couple of things that recommend mini drones over a standard drone.
Probably the most obvious advantage is the flying setting, read more about what are the others in our article below.
5 Best Mini Drones
1. Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 Elite Edition
- Parrot Mambo is easy and safe to pilot
- Learn to code with your drone
- The Free Flight Mini app expands your options for playing and experiences
- Compatible with IOS/Android size from 4.5 Inch
Parrot is quite renowned for its Bebop drone, which can support any possible attachment on it, including the kitchen sink. You may not know this but Parrot also makes affordable and light drones.
Introducing the Parrot AR Drone 2.0 – an incredibly light and agile drone that will put your flying skills to the test. The AR Drone 2.0 weighs 4 pounds and is equipped with four self-tightening polycarbonate propellers.
The Parrot mini drone can be flown for approximately 12 minutes before the battery runs dry. However, the user can extend the flight time by attaching an extra battery. With the extra capacitor attached, you’ll get the double flight time.
As far as design is concerned, the Parrot AR 2.0 mini drone is aerodynamic and robust. You can easily pilot the AR 2.0 indoors as well as outdoors. The whole thing is powered by a 1000 mAh Lithium-Polymer battery.
Apart from its unique aerodynamic design, this mini drone is also equipped with a 720P ventral camera that is capable of recording all your favorite moments.
All in all, the Parrot mini drone is all you need for a great outdoor and indoor adventure.
- Can control it through Wi-Fi with iOS and Android tablets and smartphones;
- Live video streaming;
- Has free flight piloting app;
- Has automatic stability;
- Can record, share videos and pictures straight from the drone;
- Can perform a unique acrobatic flip;
- You can easily update it to meet FAA requirements.
- Easy to deploy;
- Intuitive UI;
- Easy to pilot;
- Excellent flight autonomy;
- Perfect for indoor navigation;
- Barrel roll feature.
- Application can freeze during mid-flight;
- Spare parts are hard to find;
- Lens is too narrow.
2. MJX X101 RC Quadcopter Drone
- Newly-increased Headless Function:Can recall the aircraft easily and One Key Retrun can make the quadcopter easier to control.
- 7.4v 1200mAh Battery:Greater battery capacity,longer flying time
- FPV Real-time Transmission:It can be installed with FPV aerial components:a C4005 /C4008/C4009 FPV aerial component(buy separately,selled in our store)which can download MJX R/C FPV Aerial software allows real-time camera and video transmission of aircraft during flying.
- With LED Light:Not only makes night flight much easier,but also makes the quadcopter look more attractive
- 3 D Roll and One Key Return:You can press the roll buttom on top of the remote control,the quadcopter will roll.At hight speed,you can finish the roll via control the lever.
The MJX X101 RC Quad is considered one of the best mini drones out there on the market. Probably the first thing you’ll see when taking a first look at this drone is its frontal LED guiding lights, that make it look like a predator ready to pounce on its prey.
This quadcopter is designed to be flown both indoors and outdoors. Weighing no more than 3.2 pounds, the MJX X101 is capable of turning every flight into something to tell your friends over a beer. Note that this is not a drone for beginners.
The MJX X101 RC was specifically made for the users who really know their way around a remote controller. Among other features that make this MJX model great is the optional FPV camera, return home function, stable flight, throttle limit mode, and 6-axis gyro stabilization system.
Regarding flight time, this MJX model can be flown for 10 straight minutes before it needs to be recharged.
Other Specs and Features:
- Lightweight mini drone;
- On-press return home function;
- 4 GHz operating frequency;
- HD RC real-time transmission.
- Incredibly light;
- Good flight autonomy;
- Resistant to strong winds and water;
- Can perform 3D rolls;
- Has a LED light.
- Recharging time is high, almost 2 hours;
- Add-ons are expensive;
- Stunt and attachments can drain the battery.
3. DBPOWER Hawkeye-I Quadcopter Transformable Drone
- HEADLESS MODE: Usually, the forward direction of a flying multi-rotor is the same as the nose direction, by using Headless, the forward direction has nothing to do with nose direction, the direction will be the same as your remote controller
- 3D SPLIT SCREEN DISPLAY: Compatible with 3D VR HEADSET on MJX FPV APP, use your own VR HEADSET (NOT INCLUDED) to see the world in a different way
- FPV REAL TIME TRANSMISSION: Connect your phone with the drone and the view will be shown directly on your phone, thus enjoy the world above the horizon
- HIGH CAPACITY BATTERY: Control the X400W drone from 100 meters away and with the high capacity volume battery, you can fly your drone up to 8-9 minutes, for More Accessories, search ASIN --- Motors: B01D1I3WDE, Blades: B01D1I7280 Batteries: B01D1HUO3G B01D1HN4JW
- ONE KEY 3D ROLL: With the latest technology of 6-Axis Gyro flying control system, it can fly very stable and take better pictures and it can finish the 3D roll with one key, it is very easy to use even for the beginner
The DBPOWER Hawkeye-I Quad is yet another example of how to make your drone-flying experience more pleasant.
Sporting the car transformation features as the X9 model from Syma, the Hawkeye-I model can go from car to drone in just a matter of seconds.
Being a little bigger than the X9 model from Syma, the DBPOWER Hawkeye sports a 2-megapixel HD camera that can record in true 720P thanks to its 2 GB memory card.
The DBPOWER Hawkeye-I Quad weighs approximately 1 pound and has 3.5 inches in heights, 3.5 inches in width, and 1.4 inches in height.
Flight stabilization is ensured by the 6-axis gyro stabilization system. The drone’s blade features a protective guard which prevents the motor assembly from damage in case of a crash.
The whole ensemble gets power from its 450 mAh Lithium-Polymer battery, which keeps the drone up and running for 7 to 10 minutes. DBPOWER Hawkeye-I Quadcopter 3D
Other Specs and Features:
- 4 Ghz controller, operation on four channels;
- Two-mode switch: flight and car;
- 3 different flying speed modes;
- Can perform 360-degree flips.
- Great for any kind of terrain;
- Excellent crash protection;
- Decent video quality;
- Can transform into car;
- Intuitive RC.
- Camera distortions;
- High charging time of 60 minutes;
- Does not support attachments;
- Part are hard to replace.
4. Hubsan X4 (H107C) 4 Channel Quadcopter with Camera
- New X4 H107C RC quadcopter with Camera: Recording module
- Latest 6-axis flight control system with adjustable gyro sensitivity
- Permits super stable flight. With 4 channels
- 4-ways flip(left,right,forward,backward)
- memory card:Micro SDHC(excluded)
The Hubsan X4 model is a great choice for beginners, being maneuverable and intuitive at the same time.
The narrow neck of those woods or your living room won’t pose a challenge for this bad boy equipped with four 0820 coreless motors. If you like Hubsan, you can also check out the Hubsan X4 H107D drone.
This drone has the 6-axis gyro system that ensures flight stabilization. As far as flight autonomy is concerned, the Hubsan X4 can stay up in the air for approximately 7 minutes, before it needs a full recharge. It sports a 380 mAh Lithium-Polymer battery and a 0.3 MP camera.
No products found.
Oher Specs and Features:
- Adjustable gyro;
- Light frame;
- Micro SD slot;
- Rubber feet;
- LED guiding lights;
- USB port;
- Can perform 4-way flips.
- Easy to use;
- Intuitive controls;
- Low price;
- Sturdy chassis.
- Can’t use smartphone or tablet to control it;
- Low flight time;
- High charging time;
- Best for novices than advanced users.
5. Syma X9 FlyCar
Probably all of us have heard about the “Transformers” movies. Obviously, we do want one of those bots that can switch between car and bot mode in a split second. With the Syma X9 Quadcopter car, your dream of owning your very own Transformer will come true.
Introducing the new generation of nano drone, Syma wants to take the drone hobby to a whole new level. With the X9 Quad car, you’ll be able to navigate each course, no matter how difficult it is. If the setting is ideal for flying, then the X9 can be switched to flying mode.
But if there are any obstacles that can impede the drone’s flight, hit the button on the remote, and the X9 will go car mode.
The Syma X9 Quadcopter car weighs a little over one pound and measures 16.8 x 10.9 x 3.5 inches. The wondrous nano drone is powered by a 600 mAh Lithium-Polymer battery, and it comes with an identis extra battery, both of them used one after the other can keep it up and running for a total of 15 minutes.
Other Specs and Features:
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor settings;
- Wireless: 2.4 Ghz;
- Perform 360 degrees 3D eversion feature;
- Has 6 axis gyroscope;
- Remote control has two mode switch: car and quadcopter
- Incredibly light;
- Can crawl through narrow spaces;
- Good for indoor activities;
- Car/quadcopter switch;
- Can perform stunts.
- Poor battery life;
- No recording capabilities;
- Far easy to crash;
- Spare parts are hard to find;
- No return home function;
- No iOS/Android compatibility
It’s far easier to fly a smaller drone inside close quarters like a room, inside a narrow passage or a dense forest, then a larger one. Also, keep in mind that mini drones cost less than regular drones, which is quite something for someone running on a tight budget.
All the items presented above are considered to be the best mini drones having won many awards, including for camera, maneuverability, and device compatibility. Tell us your opinion on mini drones and nano drones in a comment below!